Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Fog

December is a mix of many things, but usually not fog and rain. I spent the better part of the afternoon trudging uphill in the forest preserve to test a few pieces of my gear and some clothing combinations. For as much obsessing as I did about my boot selection, I'm really happy with the way the Sportiva boots are treating my feet. So for a girl who's bothered by the flatlocked seams in her running tights every day, its always dicey to have to throw on layer upon layer in the mountain without getting irritated. If there's one thing I detest, its getting hot and sweaty and aggravated gearing up. Ask my parents, I have been like this since the day I was born.  Ask my husband- when I have to get dressed up for a wedding or formal event, I'm downright b*tchy as I get dressed. So today it was my new gaiters thrown into the mix.  I was first introduced to gaiters when I lived in Norway as an exchange student and I wasnt a fan of them then either. I don't really see the point.  Do they keep you that much cleaner and drier? Eh, can't be sure.  But with the addition of the crampons on this trip, the Outdoor Research Crocodile Expedition gaiters are a must so as to not rip my pants to a shred if I snag a point. Still, its just one more layer to mess with and I can never get them just right. Until today. Maybe it was the zen-ness of the gentle rain in the quiet forest, but the gaiters didn't bother me at all. I even adjusted them perfectly on the first try. The rain picked up throughout the hike, but listening to it hit the leaves on the trail took my mind off the fact that my pack was heavy. I do feel as strong and as fit as I have ever been these days, but will I feel as strong at 19,000 feet? 
 Climbing doesn't always entail blue skies and fair weather. Sometimes it pours, sometimes its really windy, and sometimes its bitter cold. I believe in training like you play. Dragging myself out in bad weather now will pay dividends later.

No comments:

Post a Comment