Thursday, January 16, 2014

Arrived safely

I'm not afraid of traveling alone but it was a relief to see my scheduled pickup at the airport at midnight holding a sign with my name on it outside of customs. The modern New Mariscal Sucre airport just opened in 2013 and is far cry from the noise and chaos at Tribuvahn in Kathmandu I arrived at for the EBC trek in Nepal. We threw the 70 lbs worth of bags in the SUV and set off on the hour drive to Rumiloma. The hotel sits perched on a hillside at almost 11,000 feet and the air is already noticeably thin here. Driving up the steep hill street is like off-roading. And passing descending vehicles was hairy, especially in the pitch black night. My room is actually a casita that has 2 bedrooms and is two levels. Its probably 1000 sq feet. More like a palace. In bed by 2am but up at 7am with the peacocks squawking. Huge breakfast overlooking Quito in the valley. I am the only guest on the property until later today.

2 comments:

  1. Wow it looks nice! and all your own! We miss you. Glad you made it safe. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete