Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Prusik

Purchased new prusik cord and additional carabiners from REI this week. Part of preparation for this climb is learning/reviewing how to tie different knots. Youtube is very helpful for sure, but once I master it a knot, it never sticks in my brain-probably because I don't use them on a regular basis . Prusik is carried by all climbers and is a friction hitch that can be used to ascend rope without a mechanical ascender (jumar). It can be a lifesaver if you are in a crevasse----which I try to block from my mind from ever happening. One of my favorite videos is this one that shows a huge crevasse on Mt. Rainier from the bottom looking up. And then a guy using prusik to practice on the side of his house.  Not sure I'd ever practice that way, but interesting nonetheless. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxbNT2rlq4I    But if I'm in a crevasse I guess I need to know what to do, in the dark, and most certainly with a pounding heart. 
The carabiners in the glass case at REI always catch my eye...like the glass case in a jewelry store filled with diamonds.  This time it was the brown colored screw-lock carabiners that caught my eye.  

No comments:

Post a Comment