Monday, September 2, 2013

The reality checks begin...

Big boxes arriving by UPS are a good sign that I have a trip coming up in the next year.  Some girls spend their money on manicures and purses.  I like to spend mine on outdoor gear. 
This particular box happens to be my first attempt at Koflach Arctic Expes, the classic double-plastic boots that are good on expeditions. I cleared my mind of any hate I would have for this boot, as any picture Ive ever seen of it looks like it would rip my foot to shreds. It'd be like climbing for 2 weeks with a cement ski boot on. Inflexible to say the least. 

$400 of yellowy  goodness! Hey, so they didnt exactly go with the outfit I wore to work but whatever.  Except they were not yellowy goodness.  They were yellowy badness. I was sweating putting them on because of my high instep, even the inner boot was a pain. I couldnt get them laced up tight enough, and they were 5 lbs of inflexibility.  But I wore them around the house for 15 minutes and theres no doubt that they would keep my feet warm at 19,000 feet. Have I mentioned there is only unisex sizing? My tiny foot can not be appeased with extra padding.  All I could think about is that I'd be fit enough to get to the summit but Id have to turn back because I had blisters and shin bruising like nobody's business? No thank you!  Just ask my husband, the stitching on my seamless socks bother my toes, these Koflachs will never work.
I reordered the next size up from Moosejaw just for comparison. And another boot that I'd been stalking, the La Sportiva Nepal Evo--it comes in a women's version! So a few days later I have $1500 in boots alone sitting in my living room. The good news is, the moment I put on the Evos, I knew they were for me. Fit like a dream, padded in all the right places, more flexibility, and a trusted boot pick of Whittaker Mountaineering women guides.  Koflachs went back to Moosejaw, keeping the Evos.  
Wanna see 'em??


The Evo is on top (its actually a lime green) and for comparison, my regular hikers are below it.  The notches for my crampons can be seen at the toe and heel. This might be the first year I can't wait for it to snow.
So in the end, its $509 of lime green goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment